A contrasting mix of heather moorland, limestone crags, woodland and rolling farmland, it covers an area of 62 sq miles following the ridge of the hills. The Clwydian Range forms a 35km north to south chain of undulating hills extending to 160 sq km and rising to 554 metres at the summit of Moel Famau.
The Range stretches from the Vale of Clwyd in the west to the Dee Estuary in the east; from Prestatyn Hillside in the north to the Nant y Garth pass in the south.
The open heather moorland of the high ridge dominates the small hedged fields and coppice woodland of the lower slopes. In places, limestone rock outcrops are exposed in attractive wooded escarpments and on the fringes of the area, highly fertile farmland gives a soft pastoral foreground to the hills.
Most of the spectacular views can be enjoyed from the Offa's Dyke National Trail which crests the highest hills in the Range.
Loggerheads and Moel Famau Country Parks form the heart of the AONB where there is a huge range of activities for visitors to enjoy. The Offa's Dyke National Trail follows almost the entire length of the ridge offering walking routes to some of the wildest countryside.
The superb quality of the landscape is complimented by the high quality accommodation, activities, food and welcome that together are the Clwydian Range experience.
Approximately 60% of the AONB is in Denbighshire and the other 40% is in Flintshire.
Denbighshire Countryside Services manages the AONB including some of the woodlands in partnership with Forestry Commission Wales.